First Robotics Competition
General DescriptionFIRST Tech Challenge, or FTC, is one of our programs at Westwood Robotics, open to all students. Our fairly new FTC program began in 2019, and we've expanded from two teams to six in the span of two years.
Game StructureAt the start of each season, our team will be given a standard “kit of parts” and a set of rules to play a field game (with limited time). As FTC teams, we work during a 4-month period to build a robot capable of competing in that season's game. Usually, during the game, robots complete tasks such as scoring balls into goals, placing inner tubes onto racks, hanging on bars, and balancing robots on balance beams. While we are given a standard set of parts, we are also allowed a budget and are encouraged to buy or make specialized parts.
Westwood Robotics currently has 6 FTC teams all operating after-school. Our teams include:
- Westwood Tomahawk (17315)
- Westwood Arrohead (17264)
- Westwood Boomerang (18884)
- Westwood Atlatl (18886)
- Westwood Hunga Munga (17113)
- Westwood Slingshot (20240)
As students in Westwood Robotics, members are encouraged to do whatever interests them the most. Our sub-teams include:
- Build & Design – Does the actual building of the robot.
- Programming – Programs the robot (in Java), will have the opportunity to work and learn about PID and vision processing
- Computer Automated Design (CAD) – Collaborates with other members to CAD the robot. Learns how to work with CAD Programs such as OnShape.
- Electrical – Works with electronics that are on the robot
- Corporate Marketing – Presents to corporations and organizations for funding, applies for grants
- Outreach Team – Organizes outreach events and FLL/FTC Competitions that are held at Westwood Team
- Dues for the team are $175.